Winter is that time of the year in which everyone is happy for a cup of very hot tea, soups… but not salads! I was the same until I started to look for winter salad options made out with our fresh and seasonal delicious veggies.
Kale is one of our biggest crops at this time of the year. I’ve met a lot of people the last two years that have been wondering what to do with it, how to cook it. The easy option was always a juice or a smoothy, but here I give an incredible yummy recipe that we tried a few days ago and was absolutely fantastic!
Crispy Kale roasted winter salad
INGREDIENTS for 2 people
3 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 cup walnuts
2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon peper
1 large bunch curly kale, torn away from stem and roughly chopped
4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
2 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
Apple Cider Dressing
2 cups apple cider
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
salt + pepper
- To make the dressing. Add the apple cider to a medium sauce pot and bring to a boil, boil for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the cider has reduced to about 1/3 cup and is thick and syrupy. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper. Set aside
- While you work on the dressing preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and start the kale.
- Add the kale to a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss well and massage the kale with your hands for a good 1 to 2 minutes. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, tossing 1-2 times while cooking, until crispy. Remove and place in a large bowl, set aside.
- While the kale gets crispy start working on the sweet potato. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes
- Add the sweet potatoes to a sheet pan and drizzle on a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Sprinkle with about half the spice mixture and toss well. Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and add walnuts and a sprinkle more of the seasoning and then toss it all together. Bake for another 15-25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Now add the roasted sweet potatoes and walnuts to the crispy kale. Toss.
Divide the salad among plates and top with a drizzle of the apple cider dressing.
Hope you enjoy it!